Saturday, March 24, 2018

What Happens to Delayed Dreams?



We all have dreams. Not just those at night that may entertain or bother us. I’m talking about dreams for our future or rather what some may call “goals.” Did you ever wonder, what happens to delayed dreams?

Sometimes we get busy in life, and we end up putting off the very dreams that we have wanted since childhood. These are the dreams that make us alive inside our hearts and souls. Sometimes we just go through the motions of life and postpone our dreams while telling ourselves that we will catch our dreams later. But when will later come? Should we continue putting off our dreams, or should we grasp and fight to hold on to them, thus making them a reality?



Poet Langston Hughes advises us in his poem “Dreams” (1)  to “Hold fast to dreams/ For if dreams die/ Life is a broken-winged bird/ That cannot fly.” I agree with this. I have noticed that when I have a dream, a goal or a project that I am excited about that if I keep delaying to start it, then the excitement wanes and that it gets harder and harder to start it. I find every obstacle popping up to delay me, and I allow these things to postpone my dreams. However, this should not be acceptable. Sure, we might need to delay for a day or a week. But what if it becomes months and then years? How long can we hold off our dreams?



Inventors have dreams that lead them to create amazing tools and gadgets that we use to make our lives easier and more interesting. What if they had delayed their dreams? Could you imagine life without a laptop or a smartphone? What about all of the creative scientists who have made great discoveries and found cures for diseases? What if they had delayed their dreams? What would become of our world if all of us, especially our geniuses, doctors, scientists and even our writers delay their dreams?



Dreams keep us alive and give us a purpose in life. This purpose might help us, but it can end up helping others, too. We need to struggle to achieve our goals and not allow them to be delayed or to dry up. Langston Hughes wonders in another poem “Harlem (Dreams Deferred)” (2), “What happens to a dream deferred?/ Does it dry up like a raisin in the sun?/ Or fester like a sore.” I believe it truly must dry up like something withering away… almost like a dry, crumbled leaf that turns to dust in the wind. Life without dreams means we are living like zombies. It is a spiritual death. Delaying dreams can only lead to the funeral of one’s creativity. That is a tragedy!




I implore you not to give up your dreams. Don’t even postpone them. Go and grasp them with firm determination. Dreams are great, but they become a reality only when dreams are put into action. So, set your goals down on paper, sketch out a plan and then start working toward your goals.

Good luck in achieving your dreams!



References where you can view the full poems by Langston Hughes:
https://www.poemhunter.com/poem/harlem-dream-deferred/

9 comments:

  1. What a wonderful, heartfelt post.
    Great reminder. I am so thankful God has helped me fulfill most of
    my dreams.⚘šŸ•Š

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! And I'm very happy for you that you have been able to fulfill most of your dreams. Dreams are truly the breathe of life! Take care!

      Delete
  2. This is a great post. Dreams is my favorite poem.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Langston Hughes is one of my favorite poets.

      Delete
  3. Then keep writing. Do not delay your dream. Hugs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Doing my best to despite life and obstacles trying to get in the way. Take care and hugs!

      Delete
  4. Writer's block becomes easier to accept and make excuses for over time. I look at old blog posts and think, "I was a really good writer in 2011 and 2012." Now that I have the time to write, I wonder, "Did I become a bad writer since then, or just too scared to try again?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Indeed writer's block becomes a crutch for many. And I think my next blog post that I'm planning will probably answer your last question. It is true that writers sometimes get "out of practice" and sometimes are afraid to try again, but just keep pushing. You've got the talent and it does not go away... you just have to find it again. Find your voice and your purpose, and then everything should fall into place. And yes you are a great writer! Take care and hugs!

      Delete